cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:46:30 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> On 9/22/05, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Daniele Madama wrote:
>>Idea is simple, but works. I like the fact that it respects the
>>dependency information. That will ease people's lives a lot. My Ant
>>based installer didn't do that.
>>
>>Here's a few thoughts:
>>
>>  1. Could you show the dependency information in the right hand pane? It
>>     isn't always clear as to why a block's tick is grayed out.
>>  2. Could you add a page/tab for the basic options in build.properties?
>>  3. Could you add a pane that actually invokes Ant? If you could do
>>     that, and added a 'welcome' pane, you'd have written a full
>>     installer, which would be excellent. All it would need to do is set
>>     stdout to an output stream that gets written to a list box or text
>>     box, and has a cancel button.
>>  4. Could you make it use a more modern UI style?
>

> I'll add #5 then: adding a Jetty control pane to start/stop the webapp.

That would be great.

Now, pushing this a little further - a pane to enter details of a single
mount that can be added automatically into the root sitemap - or to
create a mounttable file. That way, you run this app, select your
blocks, tell it where your own site is, click 'configure', click 'run'
and you're away.

Then, you realise you need an extra block, you click 'stop', you click
to select your block, you click start, it says "I need to rebuild, hang
on", and it rebuilds. Then it starts the webapp, with your app mounted
already, and we're all really happy :-)

WDYT?

Upayavira