cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.1.8-dev] No widget should be named'submit' [was: Problems in CForms in latest from SVN]
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:00:07 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Ok, now I found out the problem:
>
>No top-level widget should be named 'submit' to avoid problems  with
>HTML <form> elements, at fd:submit
>
>Why did this change? It broke our application and the error message was
>nowhere to be seen. It would be good to see at least a message and in
>addition I think we should just create a warning here to keep
>compatibility, no?

This has been added to 2.2 some months ago. Basically, the big problem
with inputs named "submit" is that they hide the submit() function on
the Form object in the browser document.

This isn't really a problem until you have some event handlers on an
input, that needs to programmatically call form.submit(). In that case,
the form is not submited and there's an JS error in the browser such as
"object is not a function".

I spent many hours finding such problems, and many CForms users already
encountered it (see for example [1]). Hence this decision to forbid
widgets named "submit".

So what should we do: allow widgets named "submit" knowing that it will
break forms with event handlers, or allow it for the sake of
compatibility, letting users pull their hairs with weird broken forms?

Sylvain

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=109947942619227&w=2