cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Protocol switch in portals
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:21:36 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> You're right: a working getServerName() is actually needed as soon as
> we want to switch protocols. But that only happens on sites mixing
> http and https for urls served by Cocoon, which isn't always the case.

You'd be surprised how often you need this!  Obviously, you need it for
something like the petstore where you place an order, but you need it
for almost any form that has data that might be considered "sensitive",
i.e. it has account numbers, social security numbers, passwords, etc.
In fact, the login page really should be secure but then you want to
switch to http for the majority of a site.

> Sorry: what do you mean by "current protocol" and "protocol request"?
> I guess it's "the protocol of the current request" and "the protocol
> asked for by the caller of getLinkURI()"?
>
> That should be something like:
>  String proto;
>  if (secure == null) {
>      proto = request.scheme();
>  } else {
>      proto = secure.booleanValue() ? "https" : "http";
>  }
>
>  if (proto.equals(request.getScheme()) {
>      // same scheme: do not absolutize
>  } else {
>      // different scheme: absolutize
>  }
>
> This actually filters more cases where absolutizing will effectively
> happen, which I like :-)
>
> Sylvain

Yes, this looks like what is needed.

Ralph