cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:33:37 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> On 9/20/05, Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jbq@anyware-tech.com> wrote:
>
>>* Gianugo Rabellino:
>>

>>>I think  so, Cocoon  2.1 is  here to stay  for a  while. FWIW, a
>>>colleague of mine  (Daniele Madama) wrote a small  GUI to manage
>>>blocks selection  (think make xconfig for  the linux kernel). If
>>>you  deem  it useful,  my  take  is  Daniele  would be  glad  to
>>>contribute it.
>>
>>On FreeBSD, there is a Cocoon  installer that has such a GUI.  See
>>attached screenshot.  This is based on a BSD Makefile.
>

> If I ever needed another reason to praise the FreeBSD guys, here it
> is... however, I fear that tool is less than portable, given it
> requires make and ncurses/dialog/whatever. My take is that a minimal
> Swing app able to deal with dependencies might be a good step forward
> anyway.

Well, here is where the Ant installer [1] would suit you. It's config
file could be generated with a single XSLT from gump.xml (I did have a
version of it working). IIRC it would add around 900K to our download.

Only downside: http://antinstaller.sourceforge.net/roadmap.html says
"Support for JDK1.3". I don't know how hard it would be to add it,
although I guess I could have a go.

Upayavira

[1] http://antinstaller.sourceforge.net/