cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:58:05 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>>On 14.04.2005 11:15, Upayavira wrote:
>>

>>>In the work I've been doing with Snapbridge recently, I came across a
>>>rather neat GUI installer, that basically provides a front end to Ant.
>>

>>Did anything result from this thread?
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111347027000005&r=1&w=4
>>

> I'ld say we put this off until the situation with m2 and osgi has
> stabilized. Heck, maybe our osgi implementation will provide a builtin
> solution like [1] , meaning we wouldn't have to do much if anything at
> all to have this.

I'd probably agree, now.

As background, I saw this installer that looked like it would make a
decent front end for the 2.1 build process. I looked into using it for
some of my own work. However, it turned out not to have the range of
functionality I needed (but would still have suited Cocoon well) - I had
to drop it and learn NSIS (which, whilst powerful, is ghastly in terms
of its scripting - scripting as if writing C, with pre-processing
instructions etc, gaahh) - hence I didn't find the time to complete what
I proposed for Cocoon.

If someone is still interested, I'll happily give pointers/ideas, maybe
even find the time to revisit and implement it myself. However, things
with OSGi/blocks are much clearer now than they were. Do we still need
to improve the user experience of building 2.1? What do people think?

Regards, Upayavira