cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Protocol switch in portals (was Re: furious anger: portal broken)
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:41:10 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>> Ok, that's it on *that* subject (I hope), let's get into the
>>> technical discussion:
>>>
>>> Both, the JSR 168 and WSRP require the functionality to switch from
>>> http to https and back. Switching the protocol is only possible with
>>> absolute urls (for the switch itself). That's the reason why the
>>> LinkService now creates absolute urls.
>>>

>> Can you elaborate on this protocol switch? What is it about? Any
>> pointers?
>>

> Very often you want to display a few pages, but not all, of your
> website using SSL. So you use http for most of the website but use
> https for the few pages that need it. That necessitates using the
> absolute path since the switch from http to https isn't relative to
> anything.

I'm a total newbie on this matter, so that may be dumb questions. I
don't see how absolutizing links allows this: the result of
absolutization is that all links use the protocol that was used by the
current request, i.e. if it's http than all links will use http and if
it's https then all links will use https.

It seems to me that the protocol to be used depends on the page that is
to be displayed rather than where you come from to that page, no?
Absolutization means that once you enter the site using a particular
protocol, you always use that one. Or did I missed something?

Sylvain