cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Bricks example app in our whiteboard, WDYT?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:27:01 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi community,
>
> I'm working on my "Bricks" example application for the GT [2] and I was
> thinking of putting the source code in our whiteboard, if people don't
> mind.
>
> I don't want to make it a block as it contains the full source code of a
> (very simple) standalone application built on Cocoon, including a build
> system based on [1], and it's important to show how independent from a
> particular version of Cocoon that can be.
>
> I guess this will be a one man show for now, and others might have
> different views of what an example app should be. So I'm not sure about
> where to host it, but no one objects I'd like to put it in our
> whiteboard for now.
>
> The app uses all ASF components: Hivemind, OJB and Derby, so licenses
> are clean (some non-ASL things will be downloaded from ibiblio at build
> time, with an appropriate warning).

What non-ASL things?

I don't believe we're yet in a position to supply software which
downloads non-ASF components from elsewhere. Having said that, putting
something into SVN isn't strictly "releasing" software, but we do need
to be aware of what we're putting in.

> I know we don't have a precise policy for using the whiteboard, but I
> feel better by asking first. Please yell (politely ;-) if you don't like
> the idea.

I've always thought we need to be broadening out beyond the core Cocoon,
and our current blocks system has become decidedly cumbersome for new
stuff like this. So I am keen to see stuff put onto the whiteboard - I'm
curious to see where it takes us from here.

Regards, Upayavira