cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [GT2005] Cocoon GT Talks!
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 08:33:47 GMT

On 08.09.2005 07:07, Arje Cahn wrote:

> 01 - Torsten Schlabach:
> 	"All about URIs or: Find your sources
> 	(protocols from file:// to jcr:// and beyond)"

+1 Torsten's talk was one of the best last year. Though also more
technically oriented, it was and will be very interesting. So I expect
it this time too :)

> 02 - Carsten Ziegeler
> 	"Past, Present and Future of the Cocoon Portal"

+0 I already heard it at ApacheCon EU.

> 03 - Torsten Curdt
> 	"Rapid application development with cocoon - javaflow and the
> 	compiling class loader"

+1 Two important topics: with Cocoon Javaflow an alternative to
Flowscript and short development cycles.

> 04 - Andrew Savory
> 	"Simplifying Cocoon"

+1 Also interesting for improving Cocoon in details.

> 05 - Daniel Fagerström
> 	"Cocoon Blocks"

+1 Very important of course for the near future of Cocoon.

> 06 - Sylvain Wallez
> 	"Something about AJAX"

+1 Interesting, and we need at least one hype topic :)

> 07 - Bertrand Delacretaz
> 	"Cocoon Bricks: best practices by example"

+1 Important as we do not want to have only technical or advanced topics.

> 08 - Alfred Nathaniel
> 	"XSP Tips and Traps"

+0.5 Similar to 07. With the minor difference of being "no longer
considered a core technology".

> 09 - Andrew Savory / Massimo Sonego
> 	"What we get up to with Cocoon"

+0 Being more a lightning talk could this talk not be moved to the
hackathon day?

> 10 - Michael Wechner
> 	"What Daisy, Hippo and Lenya can learn from each other!"

+0 Same here.

> 11 - Max Pfingsthorn
> 	"CForms libraries: How Cocoon forms libraries make your life easier"

+1 Important new stuff hopefully improving CForms very much by avoiding
code duplication.

> 12 - Lars Huttar
> 	"Sitemap Browser: Using Cocoon to Explore Cocoon Sitemaps"

+0.1 I can not imagine talking a full session about it. Maybe something
that is better moved into Cocoon's documentation.

> 13 - Jack Ivers / Joh Berry / Scott Roth / Vadim Gritsenko
> 	"Performance / XSLT processors running with Cocoon"

+1 XSLT can be the bottleneck of Cocoon.

> 14 - Nico Verwer
> 	"Performance / A case with very big XML documents (100's of megs)"

+0.1 no details? Don't know if it's that much difference to 13. I might
be ignorant, but the worst problem with big documents is the XSLT
transformation, isn't it?

> I was thinking of combining Sylvain's Ajax talk (30 mins) with Max'
> CForms libraries talk (15 mins). This would then be a kind of a
> "what's new in CForms" presentation (that's what Sylvain and I
> discussed).

I like this very much.

> Also, I was hoping to combine talk 13 (XSLT performance) and 14 (big
> documents) combined with possibly a third performance talk from Pier
> into a "Performance track: hints, tips and guidelines!"

See my comment on 14.

In conclusion my ranking:

Must haves:
1. 06 + 11
2. 05
3. 13
4. 03

Nice to haves:
5. 07
6. 04
7. 01
8. 08

With removing my +0.1s and +0s from the list there are exactly 8 talks
left :) So I don't think we need a second track, if we hold the talks
(in narrower terms) on the hackathon days.

Jörg