cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Creating better portal urls
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:40:01 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Also, I thought you were proposing adding the events to the url as
> well?  If you are not, then I believe all we are discussing is whether
> nav items are in the url or in a request parameter.  That just becomes a
> question of which we think is "prettier".
Yepp, this is more or less my point :)

> Under the covers the
> implementation has to be pretty similar.  IMO, which isn't worth much in
> this case, the url you provided above is kind of ugly.  Also, what is
> the page/index.html about?
Think of a forrest site done with the portal, you have some navigation
coplets,
perhaps some news coplets and the big area is the content copletshowing
the current document. Clicking a link from the navigation toggles the
content inside the content coplet. CHanging the content is done via
events, the id of the content coplet is "page" and index.html is the
document to display.

> Marshalling does exactly what we have been talking about.  If
> marshalling is not enabled than the events show up in the request with
> request ids as you are used to. If marshalling is enabled then any
> convertable events appear in the request in their serialized form (see
> the example I gave above). To create new Convertable events you just
> need to implement the Convertable interface on an event, create a
> factory for the event and then add the factory class name and the event
> "name" to the list in the ConvertableEventAspectSelector. Events are
> always created as request parameters of the form
> "javax.portlet.events=name(event data)".

Ah, ok, now you mentioned that you need marshalling in order to
get JSR 168 portlets running. I have several JSR 168 portlets running
without marshalling. Do you have a test case where this doesn't work,
cause I think it should work without marshalling.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/