cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: OT: O/R collection mapping [was: SQLTransformer]
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 02:17:51 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>>
>>> - Marathon class:
>>>   - name
>>>   - place
>>>   - date
>>>   - thoseWhoFinishedTheRace collection which is a sorted list of
>>> those Persons who managed to get to the finish line. The list is
>>> sorted in an order of finishing so thoseWhoFinishedTheRace().get( 0
>>> ) is the winner.
>>>
>>> In this example the collection is not _sorted_ - it is _ordered_
>>> with information not available to Person bean. The use of index
>>> field is mandatory - it's not bad database design.
>>

>> It is bad - good design will have 'finished' timestamp ;-P
>
> LOL. Still there are several usecases when you do not have a field to
> sort on like "a list of shirts I like best starting from the most
> favourite one". :)

Not sure is there can be a usecase where you will not need to store a
value in the DB. But, let assume the special usecase exists, then the
additional index should be "optional" and not obligatory as is now in
hibernate. ;-)

I also noted [0]: "The index of an array or list is always of type integer."

Again, this is a non-sense: Obligatory index + obligatory index type!

Of course, this does not cover cases where the user prefer to use
another index type, for example a string or a char or whatever other
type the user want to use. This is another reason to choose Apache OJB
[1]. The worse is that instead of offer a solution in hibernate 3, they
offer just "a cool justification" why this non-sense [0]. I really
wonder how is people using hibernate after all. The only answer I found
is "they must have an excelent marketing engine a la
${readerPreferedCorporate.getName()}". ;-)

IMO, a good O/R mapping tool should not force us to "hack" our database
or our code. ;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

[0] http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/reference/en/html/collections.html