cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r278641 - /cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src/blocks/xsp/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/language/markup/xsp/XSPExpressionParser.java
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:09:19 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Monday 05 September 2005 14:43, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>

>>Of course that I am aware that both codesets (Shift-JIS and ISO-8859-1) are
>>different UNICODE subset. This is same as you stated.
>>

>No. Pier doesn't mix the difference between Unicode (sequence of characters)
>and the mapping of those characters to fixed or variable length encoded
>bytestreams.
>The fact that character 65 in Unicode is in many encodings mapped to the byte
>value 65 is for convenience only, and that fact should be ignored.
>

>>Our SVN uses UTF-8 as the default charset (or encoding) or not?
>>

>Subversion uses binary data, and is agnostic to any encodings in the data (or
>so they say). AFAIU, marking files as text only deals with the line endings
>and how the diff mails are generated.

Problem is the interpretation of "line ending". On Unix, it's 0x10 which
can be part of a multibyte character in a file encoded in UTF-8.

In such a case, although the file is a text file, setting the
"eol-style=native" property may well break the file... Or is there a way
to specify the encoding to SVN?

Sylvain