cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Extremely odd source in XSPs (breaks build)
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 01:13:59 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> On 5 Sep 2005, at 01:23, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>

>>> I'm seeing LOTSA characters from Latin-1 in the source code
>>> <http:// www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf> (especially in
>>> people's names!)
>>

>> You wanna see name? Then use "svn log [src-path]" or "svn blame
>> [src-path]" ;-)
>

> Not interested in who to "blame" :-) The "name" reference was more
> into things like name of people with german umlauts :-) :-)
>
>> For sure, it is not me, I use UTF-8:
>>
>> $locale
>> LANG=es_NI.UTF-8
>

> Then you've never used the SHELL_ESCAPE in XSPs for using Python
> bindings (or whatever that is) :-)

Never! IMO, this can be a very dangerus programming technique! [0] :-D

> Seriously talking, it depends on a number of things, not only your
> platform encoding, but also on your editor's, your compiler and so
> on... The good thing about XML is the <?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="xxxx"?> sorting out 99.9% of the problems, but that said,
> the same problem can pop up here and there...

Yep. I think the migration to UNICODE is almost done in the industry.
Actually, we observe a lot less cases of encoding problems than than few
years ago. I think it is a probe that the industry now know better how
to deal with UNICODE than ever.

>>> We should make sure that whenever code is written, any character
>>> outside the "Basic-Latin" Unicode spec <http://www.unicode.org/
>>> charts/ PDF/U0000.pdf> is correctly encoded as \uXXXX, otherwise
>>> things are  going to start breaking... :-D
>>

>> +1 and this is why I sent my first mail related to this issue:
>>
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=112586325420497
>

> Anyone volunteers to write a little script looking for BYTEs (not
> characters) in our source code that are outside of the 00-7F (0-127)
> range?

One case per year justify this? ;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo