cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Releasing 2.1.8, when?
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:54:57 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> Right, but making it "internal" is stronger as it means "don't use
>>> it", as internals can change also without notice.
>>>
>> That is fine if it accomplishes what you want it to.  I got the
>> impression that your position with the location stuff was more of a
>> "use at your own risk as this isn't fully completed - but I would
>> like your feedback".
>
> Ah yes. Oh damn, how difficult it is to ask people to test new
> features while still warning them that they should nor rely on it!!!

I don't know. I think the community did a pretty good job of that with
Woody. It was quite clear that it was experimental yet folks tried it
and I don't recall anybody complaining when it was all renamed to become
the forms block.  Maybe because Woody is still around.

I suppose one way would be to initially name stuff as
o.a.c.whatever.experimental.ClassName.  Then when you have it working
create a clone at o.a.c.whatever.ClassName and deprecate the
experimental stuff. An even better name would be
o.a.c.whatever.testme.ClassName ;-)