cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing 2.1.8, when?
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:26:33 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Although I agree with the general principle of shorter release
>> cycles, we have to define a policy regarding new features introduced
>> in these frequent releases and the associated contracts. Again,
>> stable / unstable state, but at a finer intra-block level.
>>
>> Let's take an example with the new Location stuff. It's very cool and
>> a lot of people will want to use it. However, we may not consider the
>> API totally finished (there are still a few minor changes I'd like to
>> do for it to be cleaner and more straightforward). What if we make a
>> release now? The contracts will have changed a bit in the next release!
>

> Just update the Javadoc to say what you want to say. If it isn't
> completely stable yet just try to make sure it doesn't stay that way
> for too long.

That's the point: periodic releases may clash with ongoing development,
meaning an interim state for one release. Now as Daniel rightly pointed
out, having fixed dates will likely change our developer habits.

>> So this leads back to a discussion we already had: marking some APIs
>> as internal, so that people are warned that they should not base
>> their code on it. The internal status can be used for things that are
>> really internal (like all the environment handling stuff) and things
>> that are fully functionnal (i.e. "stable" from a bug point of view)
>> but on which we still reserve the right to do some modifications.
>

> "Internal" to me means that no application should ever use it and that
> it might be removed at a future time.  What you have described is more
> along the lines of "under development" or "in testing".  i.e. use at
> your own risk.

Right, but making it "internal" is stronger as it means "don't use it",
as internals can change also without notice.

Sylvain