cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Releasing 2.1.8, when?
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:02:44 GMT
Andrew Savory wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 1 Sep 2005, at 09:06, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> But we can release sooner if required; I think the current state is
>> very
>> stable.
>

> Definitely +1 to release 2.1.8 ASAP.
>
>> I think from 2.1.8 we should simply release every two months. So
>> everyone (developers and users) have a fixed date. So this is a little
>> bit more of agile development as we are using fixed sprints :)
>> Of course if there are showstoppers we will make an exception.
>

> Sounds good ... the problem we have currently with "ship it when it's
> ready" is we rarely agree on when it is ready ;-) The only thing I'm
> wondering about is if every two months isn't a little fast for the
> current rate of change in the 2.1* series?

A main point about shipping every second month is that we create a habit
to deliver regulary and in time and that we will improve our routines so
that we make it easy to do the shipping and assesing the quality of the
release. If not that much have happened since the last release, it will
make it easier to ship the next one and it makes it less dramatic for
the users to uppgrade.

Currently when we ship rather selldom, people want to do a lot of last
minute additions as they know that they have to wait half a year to make
it part of  a relase otherwise. These additions makes testing harder and
makes the deadlines slip.

Furthermore the only way to make features really stable is to release
them and get "real" usage, user feedback, bug fixes and extensions on them.

/Daniel