cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Using includes in the sitemap for components?
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:53:10 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>>I'll try to minimize the need for patching the web.xml in the next days
>>>as well.
>>>

>>How do you plan to do this? We cannot add ourselves an include mechanism
>>in web.xml :-)
>>

>Oh, yes we *can* - we simply take Geronimo and require all users to use
>that and then we can patch our extensions into the servlet spec and
>finally get it right :)  (Ok, this is just a joke)
>
>Now more seriously, it's already there. All the settings stuff I did in
>the core is just for this. We use POPFs :) (plain old property files)
>for this.

POPF: I like this :-)

>See [1] for the introduction.
>Now I'm thinking of extending that mechanism to include several block
>specific property files.

That was the point. We have a property lookup path, what we need now is
this path to be able to include a dynamic set of property files, e.g.
WEB-INF/block-*.properties.

>See also my response to Upayavira [2] which should show that using
>properties enables a lot of nice things. (Hopefully I succeeded there).
>And all this is still compatible with the 2.1.x way of doing things!

Yup. And that can be a real bonus with OSGi where a bundle can expose
these properties as its configufation, meaning the block will contain
its complicated xconf file but only expose to the user those parts whose
configuration really makes sense, such as paths, jdbc urls, simple
boolean flags, etc.

Sylvain