cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Using includes in the sitemap for components?
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:10:16 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> On that note, we shouldn't store application configuration in web.xml.
>
> web.xml is an environment specific configuration file. The only config
> that goes there is environment specific configuration.
>
> We should store the config that is currently in there in some
> environmentally neutral file - the obvious one is cocoon.xconf, but,
> that it isn't in web.xml is more important.
>
> This would make the CLI easier. Also, the core Cocoon block in an OSGi
> system is environment independent, it is the webapp bundle that provides
> the specific environment, so storing core Cocoon configs in web.xml is
> problematic there.

It's already implemented in 2.2 and works :) I used the famous
properties format for this, so you can define a property file with all
the settings from web.xml and don't need any init parameters in web.xml
at all. And of course the CLI can use the same property file.
And you can simply override values on startup by specifying the property
on the command line.

Just a silly example: the cocoon.xconf is at WEB-INF, now you have a
debug xconf for debugging, now you can startup Cocoon with
cocoon -Dconfiguration=mydebug.xconf and that's it.

I'm planning to extend this mechanism in the next days, so every block
can have it's own file.

I wrote an introduction to this some months ago, but at that time noone
really was interested in it :(

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/