cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: validation block: RELAX-NG, XML-Schema, any other languages required?
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:40:41 GMT
On 8 Sep 2005, at 10:19, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> On 9/7/05, Pier Fumagalli <pier@betaversion.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm almost done implementing XSD (XML Schema) validation using
>> Xerces' internals! :-P
>> That was hard, but I got it working outside Cocoon's sandbox, now it
>> only needs a couple of wrappers for source/entity resolution between
>> Cocoon and Xerces.
>>
>> Any other languages that _seriously_ deserve some attention before
>> marking the block as "stable" ?
>>

> I'd love to see Schematron, as the only language which allows easy and
> selective validation (not to mention domain-specific validation as
> well). I still don't quite see why you didn't go the MSV way apart
> from distribution issues (we have schema, rng and schematron
> implemented as msv plugins in our validation stuff), but hey, as long
> as you're giving free code away, I'm happy ;)

Well, distribution issues _are_ quite important :-D

If you want to use MSV, simply write a couple of "mocks" classes for
what you need, and from there you can build a MSVSchemaParser and a
MSVSchema you can use directly with the components provided within
the "validation" block. That should be straightforward to do. Someone
could do exactly the same for javax.xml.validation in JAXP 1.4 and so
on and so forth (actually, javax.xml.validation _is_ redistributed
with cocoon, I'll do something with it)...

I don't think that having a dependancy on something we cannot
redistribute for a generic (and IMVHO essential) feature such as
validation is a good thing.

But hey, if you want to implement it, mock, and write! :-P

     Pier