cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Extremely odd source in XSPs (breaks build)
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 00:40:07 GMT
On 5 Sep 2005, at 01:23, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>> I'm seeing LOTSA characters from Latin-1 in the source code
>> <http:// www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf> (especially in
>> people's names!)
>
> You wanna see name? Then use "svn log [src-path]" or "svn blame
> [src-path]" ;-)

Not interested in who to "blame" :-) The "name" reference was more
into things like name of people with german umlauts :-) :-)

> For sure, it is not me, I use UTF-8:
>
> $locale
> LANG=es_NI.UTF-8

Then you've never used the SHELL_ESCAPE in XSPs for using Python
bindings (or whatever that is) :-)

Seriously talking, it depends on a number of things, not only your
platform encoding, but also on your editor's, your compiler and so
on... The good thing about XML is the <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="xxxx"?> sorting out 99.9% of the problems, but that said,
the same problem can pop up here and there...

>> We should make sure that whenever code is written, any character
>> outside the "Basic-Latin" Unicode spec <http://www.unicode.org/
>> charts/ PDF/U0000.pdf> is correctly encoded as \uXXXX, otherwise
>> things are  going to start breaking... :-D
>
> +1 and this is why I sent my first mail related to this issue:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=112586325420497

Anyone volunteers to write a little script looking for BYTEs (not
characters) in our source code that are outside of the 00-7F (0-127)
range?

     Pier