cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r278641 - /cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src/blocks/xsp/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/language/markup/xsp/XSPExpressionParser.java
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 03:26:51 GMT
On Monday 05 September 2005 09:52, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> Nah, I'm pretty confident that on this little nag, I'm right...

Yes, you are (reservation below).

And I find it amazing how difficult this topic is to understand for "most
people", some of them pretty clever.

Now, the confusion adds to the matter as the JLS initially specified that java
source files had to have ISO-8859-1 (IIRC) encoding, later interoduced the
-encoding argument to the compiler, and AFAIU in Java 5 changed the default.

Pier seems to suggest that the platform settings also play a role in which
encoding the compiler chooses. This I am not aware of.

The only proper way is that Cocoon declare an encoding for source files to
use, and that this "setting" is explicitly given in the <javac> argument, and
any deviations are bugs.

Cheers
Niclas