cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Warped Text...
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:55:32 GMT
On 2 Sep 2005, at 16:44, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>>> Did you look at what Ugo did with captchas?
>>>
>>> http://agylen.com/2005/05/16/captcha-validator-for-cocoon-forms/
>>>
>>> Ciao,
>>
>> Yep, but SVG IMVHO is quite overkill to generate a simple
>> image...  Plus I suspect that the blurring algorithm is quite easy
>> to recognize  (in terms of running a simple image analysis package
>> over the  generated output).
>
> Just curious: what do you use to produce the image?

AWT... I create an image, dump some text into it, calculate a couple
of sine-waves, use them as the displacement base, re-scale the warped
image while antialiasing it... On my laptop, with Eclipse/iTunes/
blablalba and so on running, I can get something like 4 requests/
second (9 kilobytes/second) on 100x50 pixel images.

It can be optimized a lot, I'm sure about it, I waste quite a large
amount of cylcles, but the code is so simple (100 lines with
comments) that in a couple of iterations I'm pretty sure I can double
the thrugput.

> If it's lighter and more efficient that SVG, we may simply consider
> using your stuff for the captcha widget.

Pretty sure it's lighter than SVG (even in its current state)! :-D
I'm all up for it, as long as it can be found also without CFORMs
enabled (I don't normally include them but I need the reader) and as
long as I don't have to integrate it (as I wouldn't know where to
start).

Shall I commit it in a simple block with a couple of samples, just to
show how it works???

     Pier