cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The impact of using OSGi
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:08:53 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 11 August 2005 06:34, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>>Isn't it the first goal to make (any) existing block (with no code
>>modifications) run under OSGi?
>
> AFAIU, Existing blocks would run unchanged in the ECM<->OSGi bridge bundle.
>
> I think Daniel is talking "real blocks" here, and I think that would require
> the blocks to have OSGi code in them, at least for the Bundle Activator and
> ServiceFactory. Of course there is an option to make a Cocoon specific
> abstraction level on top of the basic OSGi mechanisms, but to me it seems to
> only hamper the progress, resulting in endless debates of what to expose and
> not.

This had come up during the first Blockathon day when I was present, and
it seemed to me that there were no real objections. OSGi is not a plain
POJO system, and in part this is nice as it does not depart too much
from some Avalon constructs.

> Put the stick in the ground. Declare "OSGi bundles is the plugin mechanism for
> Cocoon." Then move from there. :o)

Build it, show it, and if there are objections, let them be in code.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -