cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From BURGHARD √Čric <>
Subject Re: Suggestion for XHTMLSerializer
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:22:26 GMT
> You know what I meant: A serializer just changes the representation of
> the data but does not change the data itself - while this is of course
> not true for the transformers. When you setup your pipeline it is a
> 1:1-relation of SAX input to byte output and does not depend on anything
> else. Your serializer breaks this.

Completely wrong. If you find a 1:1 relation between a svg and a bitmap, go
ahead man, you're rich. For me a svg serialization is not reversible, you
loose layers, labels, structure and of course scalability. It's a complex
transformation that involves a lot of calculus and for which the output as
nothing to do (nature & structure) than the input.

Again, there is no conceptual difference between generator, transformer,
serializer, apart the type of their position in the pipeline and so the
type of their io. They ALL do transformations otherwise they would be very

> It is not, but if you break your stylesheet into multiple steps
> (transformer(s) + standard serializer), you can put them together into a
> virtual serializer.

Again, i don't have to break it, it's much more
understandable/readable/efficient in one part, and standard serializers are

I'm tired of this discussion.

View raw message