cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Stevens" <at...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: CoWarp (was Re: svn commit: r232855...)
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:22:22 GMT
Although as a mere user my vote probably doesn't count, from my perspective
I'm extremely grateful that Cocoon still supports 1.3 and hope that remains
the case for the 2.1.x releases.  Our production servers are running
Websphere 5.0.x, which only has JDK 1.3.1, and aren't likely to upgrade in
the short term (a combination of internal bureaucracy and the amount of
testing involved for all the other apps running on those servers).  So if
2.1.8 drops support for 1.3, I'll probably have to stick at 2.1.7 for our
team's app; either that or drop Cocoon altogether and migrate to the
"company standard" (proprietary) framework, which I've managed to hold out
against up till now ;-)

Besides, wouldn't something like that justify a bigger change in version
number i.e. if you're going to drop it, do it in 2.2?  Also, when you do
drop the 1.3 support, why not drop the servlet 2.2 support as well and start
using standard HttpRequest/ReponseWrappers in the JSP block instead of your
own version?  I'd have thought any app server that supports 1.4+ would also
support servlet 2.3+.  Plus, I've already had to write a custom JSPEngine
implementation because Websphere won't do includes if the request isn't the
standard wrapper class...

Andrew.