cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject When do we ask people for a CLA?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:32:50 GMT
(CCing Jeremias Maerki of FOP as I have discussed this with him
recently)

This is mostly a question for the PMC, but I see no need to discuss it
in private so here we go:

Other ASF projects have started to request CLAs [1] much "earlier" when
people contribute to their projects. The reason, IIUC, is to really
make sure that contributors understand what they're doing in terms of
licensing, copyright etc.

We have accepted several sizeable contributions without requiring a CLA
in the past, now the question is, do we want to follow the flow and ask
for CLAs for all contributions? A rule that seems to emerge (still
unofficial AFAIK) is that as soon as the contribution contains at least
one entirely new "object" (class, module, block?) a CLA is required.

On the plus side: the CLA "clearly defines the terms under which
intellectual property has been contributed to the ASF", quoting from
http://apache.org/licenses/#clas

The minus side: asking for a CLA even for small things (what's small?)
might cause people to refrain from contributing, as this would mean
some (easy) paperwork.

WDYT?

[1] http://apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html talks about CLAs