cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Torsten Schlabach" <tschlab...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bug# 34696 - Website update
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:37:46 GMT
Helma,

> However, I've already found out that "updating the
> website" is not a simple thing to do, so it might get down to me
> patching the content and bugging others to do the actual update, in
> which case it means that you need to be patient some more.

I am a committer in the Lenya project and I know very well what you're
talking about. Updating the website is a PITA as it involves several
steps, partly to be executed on your own machine. At least that was the
status last time I tried this. The situation might have improved since the
zones are available. I would have to check.

AFAIK there is an Apache wide project trying to come up with a very nice
website editing process, but this is future and I would not necessarily
wait for it.

If the process is the same for Cocoon than it is for Lenya (which would be
my guess) that you would probably have to check in the modfied XDoc file
(from bugzilla) into SVN. That's probably easy. Then you would have to
check the whole XDoc stuff out again, process it through Forrest to
generate static HTML and check that back into SVN. Then there should be a
script somewhere on the server that will check out the HTML off SVN and
put it onto the actual webserver.

This is how it works for the Lenya website:

http://lenya.apache.org/community/website-update.html

>From the other answers I get the impression that there is a number of
people on the Cocoon project who are not aware of the process for the
Cocoon site. So maybe someone can find out and document it.

In the Lenya project we still have the goal to establish an automatic
process running every night with a cron job, so that it will be sufficient
to check in the XDocs file and the change will appear on the site the next
day. Need to check where we are with that.

Regards,
Torsten