cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Past, present and future of the maven build
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:39:01 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Java script flow could also be move to an own block. Only the flowscript
> interfaces need to be part of core.

Yepp.

>>blockx + core - the real block
>>       + webapp - required webapp part like configuration etc.)
>>       + samples - the samples
>

> Factoring out the samples is good but I don't understand the split into
> core and samples, care to explain?

Sure, core is perhaps a misleading nome, it's the java code, or perhaps
we have like Ralph suggested:
blockx - api
       - impl
       - test
       - webapp
       - samples

>>Splitting up the current code base into a structure like this is just
>>moving directories and files. So that's really easy.
>>I think we should then write a little m2 plugin that deploys a block
>>into a build webapp:
>>- jars are copied to WEB-INF/lib
>>- configuration to WEB-INF/xconf
>>- other resources are copied as well
>>- new sitemap components are added to the main sitemap
>

> Can't this be handled by wildcard inclusion from component
> configurations in some catalog, so that we get rid of the snippet
> insertions.
Currently we only need patching the main sitemap and the web.xml - we
can't do anything about web.xml for some stuff. 2.2 can read it's
configuration from property files instead of parameters in web.xml, so
we can remove most from web.xml.
We can use wildcard inclusion in the main sitemap as well.

>>Anyway, if we split up the core into several parts,
>>this will break the Ant build script. Of course we could now change the
>>ant script as well, but that's imho
>>to much energy put at the wrong place.
>

> What about starting to get the blocks compiling with m2 before starting
> to split the core, then we minimaize the time when not the complete
> Cocoon compile.

I think compiling a block with m2 is not a problem at all, just define a
pom with all dependencies and invoke "m2 install" :) Now, it would be
great if someone would start adding poms with dependencies to the blocks...

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/