cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [2.2] Readd jx or move template block to core
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:08:53 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 30 août 05, à 13:38, Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :
>
>> ...Now, if we do it in
>> a branch I fear we end up with a one man show...

Agree, no branches! I think we have massive historical evidence that
branches doesn't work very well in our community.

> I see your point - but I'm not too sure about the "motivating people
> by breaking the build" bit.

Agree about that as well ;) Carsten seem sometimes to assume that major
changes imply breaking stuff, I don't think that have to be the case.
Working carefully and incremental steps reduces the risk. But of course,
anyone can make mistakes and we of course must allow that.

> We seem to have fairly little collective energy at the moment [1], so
> it might be wiser to make sure there is enough energy to complete the
> job (or at least bring things to an usable state again) in a
> reasonable timeframe before breaking things.

> I know this is frustrating, but it's a fact: little has happened in
> terms of new code in the last few weeks, and it doesn't seem to be
> picking up yet.

What creates community energy is something very subtle and I have no
good explanations, however I think there are more to it than our current
workload in other projects (which I assume is quite high all the time).
I think that the current "set of tasks" have importance as well, if
things feels important, interesting or cool enough, people want to be
part of it and will negelect other things and work on Cocoon. If an m2
build is a project that will create energy or not is to early to say.
But if we all wait for the community energy to arrive there is a risk
that we will wait forever, better to insert own energy and hope that
other will follow.

/Daniel