cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GSoC] status reports?
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:42:09 GMT
Heh wrote:
> Since last discussion, I've been working on how to use rdf data source
> and xul template to
> populate XUL widgets, how to connect to cocoon using XMLHttpRequest
> and update widgets through js scripts. So far I am able to create
> simple examples to demonstrate those techniques (will be detailed in
> documents).
>
> Issues:
>
> (1) XUL template
> XUL template is hard to work with, it's a black box, no error
> reporting, all silient failures. You never know if the failures come
> from incorrectly formatted rdf file, or rdf file not loaded at all, or
> the template predicates unmatched, or the illegal template actions? I
> googled around, there seems no useful supporting tools for XUL
> tempate, and for a few times this top-ranked rants about xul template
> showed up:
>  http://www.jerf.org/resources/xblinjs/whyNotMozilla/notXulTemplates.html
> it recommeded to use mozilla JSLib to control the behavior of XUl
> widgets, I was thinking about that, what do u think?
> (by the way, what's Apache's policy regarding including other
> free/open source code?)

Did you turn on debug capabities in your firefox?

Go to 'about:config' and set/enable the following boolean properties

   "browser.dom.window.dump.enabled"
   "javascript.options.showInConsole"
   "javascript.options.strict"

Another incredibly useful tool is the "extension developer's extension"
that you can find at

  http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/extensiondev/

This guy Ted needs some help on the skin side, but as far as code and
functionality he kicks *major ass*, the XUL editor and the javascript
shell are incredibly useful to prototype your code before you fragment
your xul into content/style/entities/logic.

You can also find out more on this page

  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_up_extension_development_environment

Ah, and yes, 'remote XUL' is notorious to be a stinking pain in the ass,
due to the very security sensitive environment.

--
Stefano, who develops mostly on mozilla these days.