cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: More Ajax in Cocoon (was Re: [FYI] followers :-))
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:58:11 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Il giorno 19/ago/05, alle 14:25, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:
>
>>> Yeah, but their new "ajaxified" XForms engine looks cool.
>>

>> What do you find particularily cool? Except the eye-candy when focus
>> enters a list, I wasn't impressed. I was also surprised to see that
>> almost every user action triggers a roundtrip to the server (the
>> especially on large forms where the user may tab quickly to navigate
>> inputs.
>

> What I find interesting is being able to proocess XForms on the client
> without plugins, applets or other proprietary extensions. Like it or
> not, XForms is becoming more popular and having XForms support in
> Cocoon means that fewer people will look somewhere else when they
> learn that Cocoon has a proprietary forms framework, even if it
> currently is the best around.

Ah ok, I thought it was about the feature showcased in the demos.

> Being enthusiast about Ajax, I think the best way to support XForms in
> a browser is to use that (or the next version of Firefox, when it will
> have native support for XForms/SVG/etc.). Since the implementation in
> OPS is Open Source (AFAIK), it might be worthwhile to take a look at it.

There's also Chiba which has Cocoon integration. I don't know its status
though. Something that may be worth investigating also is a
XForms->CForms translator. Could this be a bunch of XSLs?

> Of course, this means having another 12 hours extra per day, in
> addition to the 36 we all already need. ;-)

I personally would like 42 hours a day (H2G2 just went out in theaters
here) :-)

Sylvain