cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject More Ajax in Cocoon (was Re: [FYI] followers :-))
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:25:31 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Il giorno 19/ago/05, alle 11:34, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:
>
>> http://www.orbeon.com/blog/2005/08/16/ops-stack-traces/
>

> Yeah, but their new "ajaxified" XForms engine looks cool.

What do you find particularily cool? Except the eye-candy when focus
enters a list, I wasn't impressed. I was also surprised to see that
almost every user action triggers a roundtrip to the server (the
especially on large forms where the user may tab quickly to navigate inputs.

> At least, the demos do. I'm wondering whether we could reuse something
> for CForms.

The icons and the CSS?

I also started looking at integrating Scriptaculous [1] and Rico's
LiveGrid [2] in Cocoon, but as always it requires to dedicate time, i.e.
finding a project that needs it.

Scriptaculous is RoR's Ajax library and it uses a very similar approach
to CForms, by sending HTML snippets for partial page updates rather than
requiring large amounts of client-side application-specific logic.

Actually, Ajax in Cocoon should be separated from CForms, and this is
why the BrowserUpdateTransformer is in core and not in CForms. Now if
we're to add more Ajax-related stuff in Cocoon, I'm not sure putting it
in the core is a good thing, and a separate Ajax block may be better.

WDYT?

Sylvain

[1] http://script.aculo.us/
[2] http://openrico.org/rico/livegrid.page