cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Standardizing resources in jars (was Re: [Proposal] Switch to Maven NOW)
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:48:09 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

<snip/>

>> The nice thing with this propsal is that it is back compatible and
>> follow current (emerging) conventions. OTH with the blocks
>> architecture, using the resource protocol is not such a good idea. In
>> OSGi resources have URLs like bundle://3/org.apache.cocoon.foo e.g.
>> where "3" is the number of the bundle and is deployment order
>> dependent and is therefore not usable in sitemaps. In OSGi one
>> typically puts the resources at the top level of the jar or in
>> directories at top level. There is normally not that much reason for
>> puting resources in the Java package structure, as the bundle poften
>> is an apropriate level of granularity anyway.
>

> Look at cforms resources. flattening this structure will give you
> maintenance headache.

I'm not talking about flattening the structure just about not having the
prefix org/apache/cocoon/cforms as this allready is taken care about by
the symbolic block name.

>> Your proposal makes sense and we should make something about the
>> issues you describe. What you describe will not be particulary future
>> proof though.
>
> It will help at least for now and is applicable also for 2.1.x.

Sure it will, but if we want to introduce a new standard way of doing
things it would be better if we find something that will work well with
blocks.

/Daniel