cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: CoWarp (was Re: svn commit: r232855...)
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:44:57 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez schrieb:

>>> CoWarp is a 35 kb jar file containing 25 classes which seem highly
>>> tied to Cocoon and Avalon. Do you plan to move this code to the
>>> Cocoon repo?
>>>
>>> That would be IMHO a good thing to do to avoid the multiplication of
>>> small jars and give a better community oversight on this interesting
>>> stuff.

How much can grow a block that are already stabilized and provide the
functionality most of the users needs? I think it is that people don't
care about them. It is that this blocks "just works".

>> If there is *high* community interest in hosting it at Apache I'm
>> willing to
>> move.

While 2 people cannot do a "high" community" and I don't saw the Cowarp
code nor how it works, but based on what I read on this thread, I can
say, I have interest to see Cowarp in Cocoon. As suggested, Cowarp into
cocoon can replace the current authentication-fw and session-fw blocks.
The lastest mentioned blocks are part of the pre-flow era. So his
deprecation is natural. I think it is time to have a new replacement for
them. Also, I remember Carten's initial blogs about Cowarp 2 years ago. ;-)

> So let's switch Cocoon to Maven ;-)

Big +1. I am really tired of updating jars. I will prefer to dedicate my
"2 cents" to other issues that need attention for example bug fixing. ;-)

The only problem I see here is that cocoon 2.1.x requires JVM 1.3. Often
the blocks on maven repo are for JVM 1.4 only. I hate to say that,
because it takes a lot of time to check the compatibilty for 1.3 (mainly
if I consider I never used it in my life for real work). If we are
moving to maven, I will like to propose for the next cocoon 2.1.x
release to set the monimal JVM requirement to 1.4.

Can I start a vote about moving to 1.4?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.