cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] The impact of using OSGi
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:19:27 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Thursday 11 August 2005 06:34, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>

>>Isn't it the first goal to make (any) existing block (with no code
>>modifications) run under OSGi?
>>

>AFAIU, Existing blocks would run unchanged in the ECM<->OSGi bridge bundle.
>
>I think Daniel is talking "real blocks" here,

I guess we want to move the existing "compile time" blocks to real
blocks, (whatever that means).

> and I think that would require
>the blocks to have OSGi code in them, at least for the Bundle Activator and
>ServiceFactory.

At least that is IMO the preferable approach (see my previous mail).

>Of course there is an option to make a Cocoon specific
>abstraction level on top of the basic OSGi mechanisms, but to me it seems to
>only hamper the progress, resulting in endless debates of what to expose and
>not.

Agree, we have an oportunity to make the block level of Cocoon an open
standard based architecture that makes it easy for external projects to
provide blocks. And we also have the chance to colaborate actively with
other Apache projects for common inreastructure and bundles, and
fullfill some of the promises from Avalon that its community dynamics
killed.

But that will not happen automatically, we need to keep our emotional
need for NIH under strict control to make it happen.

>Put the stick in the ground. Declare "OSGi bundles is the plugin mechanism for
>Cocoon." Then move from there. :o)

+1000!

/Daniel