cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] The impact of using OSGi
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:54:52 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom schrieb:
>>
>>> At some point in time, e.g. now ;) we need to decide that we go for
>>> OSGi. Keeping all roads open at all time means that we just reinvent
>>> whats allready is standardized in OSGi.
>>>
>>> For functionality that we allready have, we must of course respect
>>> back compability and write wrappers beween what we have and the new
>>> OSGi based implementations. But for new functionallity I think that
>>> we should reuse as much as possible of what allready is in OSGi.
>>>

>> I think we should use OSGi *just* for the "core blocks" implementation
>> which is class loading, versioning and installation and that's it.
>> But that's just my opinion.
>

> +1
>
> I'd even say that at this point in time, none of the existing blocks
> should be aware of OSGi existence but only Cocoon "Kernel", which uses
> OSGi to manage (load/unload) blocks on the fly.

Why?

Do you have any specific design for achieving this that you are going to
propose?

People, at this point of time it seem rather pointless to me to impose
all sorts of restrictions on how we should implement blocks. Instead of
discussing about how to not implement blocks I would prefer to focus on
discussing how to implement them or even actually continue implementing
them ;)

/Daniel