cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <>
Subject Re: Initial ECM <-> OSGi bridge checked in
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:41:15 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom schrieb:
>>The ECM is given a LoggerManager that uses OSGi's LogService. We may
>>consider using an optional LoggerManager service if present, as
>>LogService has some limitations (no categories, and no isXxxEnabled
> The OSGi LogService is obviously a little bit limited. In the long term
> we should have a LogService implementation in the Oscar project that
> extends the OSGi LogService with the needed methods. Until then we could
> either use the Knopflerfish extension of the LogService that at least
> contains isXxxEnabled methods. Or, if someone feel like doing it,
> implement an own LogService that fullfills our requirements, that we can
> donate to the Oscar project later.
I think we should simply not use the OSGi LogService - we have the
avalon logging infrastructure we can simply continue to use. We
shouldn't change most of our core from one logging system to another.

> Besides the Avalon context we have the Context in the environment, the
> o.a.c.core.Core, o.a.c.core.Settings,
> o.a.c.environment.internal.EnvironmentHelper that gives access to info
> that at least to me seem to cover overlapping concerns. I wonder if
> anyone in the community have a complete understanding of the intended
> roles and lifecycles of all this.
I'm trying to move away from the Avalon context. The context will be
replaced by the Core object and the settings object. While the settings
object contains all "settings" :) (like configuration location, logging
settings etc.), the core object is the Cocoon "core" :) The core
provides access to various information as an official api. So basically
everything which is not a setting.
The EnvironmentHelper is an *internal* object which is just there to
make the tree processor implementation a little bit easier/faster. It
should not be used directly!