cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Suggestion for XHTMLSerializer
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:55:59 GMT
On 07.08.2005 14:51, BURGHARD √Čric wrote:

>>Of course serializers do transformations, you already wrote it: from SAX
>>to bytes. But there is one important difference: The behaviour of a
>>serializer (and at the end the output) is absolutely predictable. If you
>>feed the same SAX events into a specific serializer you will always get
>>the same result.
>
> So the behavior of a transformer is not absolutely predictable ? If i feed
> my xsl transformers with the same stylesheet and the same data, the result
> is hopefully the same. I hope that predictability is a quality shared not
> only among serializers but by all cocoon components ;-).

You know what I meant: A serializer just changes the representation of
the data but does not change the data itself - while this is of course
not true for the transformers. When you setup your pipeline it is a
1:1-relation of SAX input to byte output and does not depend on anything
else. Your serializer breaks this.

>>And to come back to Antonio's absolutely correct interjection about the
>>virtual serializers: This is the point were you can put together again
>>the above mentioned additional transformer steps and the standard
>>serializer.
>
> He was just wondering if this thread was about virtual serialization. It's
> not.

It is not, but if you break your stylesheet into multiple steps
(transformer(s) + standard serializer), you can put them together into a
virtual serializer.

Joerg