cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Johnston ...@lojjic.net>
Subject Re: [cforms] fi:validation-errors in AJAX mode
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:02:55 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Jason Johnston wrote:

>>> Yes, sure. Where I'm lost is about knowing *what* produces this
>>> fi:validation-errors element (it's not a widget, isn't it?). I never
>>> used it, and a quick search did not revealed how it is produced.
>>>

>> You are correct, it is not "produced" by anything besides the template
>> author.  It's simply a styling hint, much like fi:group, which is
>> handled entirely by the XSLT.
>>

> Ok, I see.
>
>> Unfortunately this means that it is never included in the AJAX browser-
>> update XML since there's nothing to ensure it's wrapped in a <bu:update>
>> element.  (Hmm, would manually wrapping it in a <bu:update> in the
>> template do the trick?  I wonder.
>>

> Yes, wrapping it with a <bu:update> would definitely update it. But that
> would occur at each and every form roundtrip.

I see.  So I guess that would make it so that you could never exit AJAX
mode, since there would always be at least one <bu:replace> in the
returned XML!  Yikes.

>> I think there's a definite usefulness in having it
>> AJAX-enabled, so perhaps it needs to be handled further upstream, e.g.
>> in FormsTemplateTransformer.  Should it become an ft-namespaced element
>> instead like <ft:validation-errors id="someId" />?  Thoughts?  I'm
>> willing to take a whack at putting together a patch, with guidance.
>>

> AFAIU its purpose, that would be a widget that collects validation
> errors from a set of other widgets. Its validate() method would check
> the if the collected validation errors have changed, and if yes trigger
> the page refresh.

So you're suggesting to actually make it a widget, as in
fd:validation-errors, rather than just a template element?  That's an
interesting idea... I think I'd rather keep it limited to the templating
layer though, since it's really a presentation concern.