cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cforms] fi:validation-errors in AJAX mode
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:23:57 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Il giorno 01/ago/05, alle 22:37, Jason Johnston ha scritto:
>
>> We create a new template element, <ft:validation-errors />.  When this
>> element is encountered by FormsTemplateTransformer (or the jx macros),
>> the widget tree is walked and each widget is checked for a validation
>> error.  If one is present it is added to the transformer output, for
>> example:
>>
>> <fi:validation-errors id="forms-validation-errors-0">
>>    <fi:validation-error widget-id="street">Validation error for street
>> widget</fi:validation-error>
>>    <fi:validation-error widget-id="companyInfo.companyName">Validation
>> error for company name widget</fi:validation-error>
>>    <!-- etc. for each validation error in the form -->
>> </fi:validation-errors>
>>
>> The @id in that output is autogenerated, and the number on the end is an
>> index so that we can allow the template element to appear multiple times
>> in the document and avoid duplicate ids (if necessary, just a thought.)
>>
>> In terms of XSLT styling, if there are no errors present then it would
>> be presented like fi:placeholder (create an element with the matching
>> @id so the AJAX code knows where to insert its replacement).  If there
>> are errors present then it would be presented much like the current
>> fi:validation-errors.
>

> Looks good to me. AFAIK, Ajax support works only with the template
> macros, so it might not make sense to add this feature to the
> transformer also. What is the orientation of the community towards the
> transformer/macros ambiguity? I'd like to have just one recommended
> implementation of this, so if macros are the way to go, what about
> deprecating the forms transformer?

Well, macros are more powerful because they allow to do more than
templating with the widgets. A straightforward example is conditional
templating, e.g. displaying "There are now contacts" rather than an
empty table. This is not possible with a transformer, unless we add an
expression language and some control structures which will make it yet
another programming-language-in-XML...

OTOH, the transformer is useful when JXTG is not a option e.g. when the
generator is an XSP...

>> * How, if at all, would be retain compatibility with the old
>> fi:validation-errors styling element?  One approach might be to check
>> for the presence of the @id attribute in the XSLT and if it isn't there
>> use the old xsl:template.
>

> Anoother possibility would be using a totally different name for the
> element you are proposing here. But I think I like your idea more. We
> can put a comment before the old template stating that it is there for
> backward compatibility reasons only, and in one of the next releases
> modify it to output a deprecation warning message.

Yup.

Sylvain