cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Standardizing resources in jars (was Re: [Proposal] Switch to Maven NOW)
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:27:40 GMT
On Wednesday 17 August 2005 22:09, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> > And BTW, unless I missed something I haven't seen an explicit
> > reference to the "bundle:" protocol in the OSGi specs, at least in R3.
>
> Didn't found it either, maybe it is Knopflerfish specific. But even if
> it is, the OSGi api have no direct ways for accessing a resource from
> any bundle, you must specify from what bundle you want to read a
> resource. Maybe there is a way to do it in some more indirect way.

It is probably a protocol available to be 'installed' at your own leisure
(i.e. the core beauty of OSGi). I have not bothered with it.

Since a protocol is a Service, I assume that the ServiceFactory mechanism
would also work, in which case a protocol could "extract" context information
from the "requesting bundle" and use that to tailor the resulting connection,
including retrieving resources from with that client bundle.

I have not tested this for URLs but using something along those line in a
Log4J bundle, where the "default config" for a bundle is retrieved from the
requesting bundle.

I think quite a fair bit in Cocoon should use URLs and custom protocols, and
implement those through the OSGi URL service mechanism.

Cheers
Niclas