cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The impact of using OSGi
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:20:55 GMT
On Thursday 11 August 2005 23:12, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> At component level, you can connect a Map with any
> content to  a service, then you can use a subset of the LDAP query
> language on  these maps during lookup, so each component factory that is
> registred as an OSGi service could certainly be namespaced with a block
> name if we want to.

And the ServiceFactory (OSGi term) will get the Bundle reference of the
requestor, and could potentially discriminate accordingly.

This discussion is a bit weird, since I think Vadim tries to super-impose the
previous/standing definition of what "real blocks" encompass on top of the
OSGi architecture, whereas Daniel is making a more evolutionary approach
starting with what OSGi *is*, and continue from there with "solutions to
use-cases".

IMHO, Daniel's approach is more likely to succeed, and not become another
Cocoon2 excercise, where too grand goals just delayed the project to the
point of exhausting the folks doing the work.

Daniel (Sylvain?), I suggest that you lay out some basic thoughts on sitemap
management and custom URL handling, which I think are the critical pieces at
this point.
In principle, OSGi bundles are effectively not very relevant to the Cocoon
discussion. Merely a classloader and application packaging concern. What
matters are services. And ideally, each service interface is fairly small,
and allows for implementations that do not depend on heaps of other services.
I think it would be good to see some examples of how that could look like.

Cheers
Niclas