cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: When do we ask people for a CLA?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:54:28 GMT
On Monday 01 August 2005 17:32, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On the plus side: the CLA "clearly defines the terms under which
> intellectual property has been contributed to the ASF", quoting from
> http://apache.org/licenses/#clas
>
> The minus side: asking for a CLA even for small things (what's small?)
> might cause people to refrain from contributing, as this would mean
> some (easy) paperwork.

Another BIG part of the "minus side" is that for USA contributors, the
situation seems to be even worse, as the employer owns all output of the
employee (if they have any business claims in software, which nowadays are
most sizeable companies), no matter when/how that was produced.
legal-discuss@ has have had that up a few months ago, and it seems that for
USA contributors the employer need to provide ASF with an agreement (CCLA or
otherwise) that relinguish the employer's right over the material.

Go figure! :o(
Or better, everyone move to Europe. :o)
Or better yet, move to Asia... :oD

Cheers