cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The impact of using OSGi
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:24:52 GMT
Hi Carsten,

I totally agree with your view and your goals about compatibility.

Just a few comments:

> ....Now, there is one thing to consider: using OSGi means, everything
> is a
> bundle. So whatever you develop, it must be a bundle...

For people who are not familiar with OSGI: an OSGI bundle is nothing
complicated, it's just a jar with some OSGI-specific fields in the
manifest, so it's not a big deal.

Apart from that, my impression is that the biggest impact might be on
the build system and on the directory structure of our code: separating
the code in a way that makes sense for bundles (separate interfaces
from implementations, separate units of functionality) would make the
mapping to OSGI bundles much easier, and may make the core code easier
to understand.

BTW this maps nicely to the Maven concept of smaller projects organized
in a hierarchy, and people are working on a Maven 2 plugin to create
OSGI bundles, so we have some hints here ;-)

I won't be able to help much this month due to more holidays, and as
usual whoever does the work decides, but I just wanted to expose the
mental connections that I've been making last week: if we consider
moving to Maven, this might be the right time to do it, or at least
try.

-Bertrand