cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Heh <virtuc...@gmail.com>
Subject First Strand of Silk
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 04:23:53 GMT
Hi all,

my name is He Huang, another lucky SoCer. In some English-speaking
situations where more than two males are involved, my first name
sometimes causes confusion. So please call me Heh instead of He to
improve the signal/noise ratio.

My job in this summer is to become a silkworm, enable part of the
Cocoon, CForm,  to produce silk with one more color - XUL, in an
interactive and efficient way.

This is more than exciting. Before diving into the Cocoon,  I walked
around this giant Cocoon, figuring out how to make my first strand of
silk, after all it's a cocoon!

I used the most fresh one, version 2.1.7. After going through pretty
easy (in terms of number of commands) building and starting processes
on RedHat Linux 9, I browsed various samples of pre-made silk, being
impressed by the rich set of colors and textures, I started to think
that I'm gonna finacially secure not only myself but also lots of
other people, if I can make and sell more threads of this kind of
high-tech silk. This is fantastic!

Following some illustrations, I wrote three files: silk.xml, silk.xslt
and sitemap.xmap, and dropped them into a directory named "silk". Next
step is to deploy these files into Cocoon,
since this version of Cocoon includes a servlet engine Jetty, I don't
need any more help from my cute little pet Tomcat,  so I placed the
silk directory straight under $COCOON-ROOT/build/webapp, the web
application context directory,
then pointed to:
http://localhost:8888/silk
and expected to pull out a strand of silk saying "Hello, this is my
first strand of silk".

Crap! I got some a whole page of message instead:
"Resource not found
No pipeline matched request: silk
org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException: No pipeline matched request: silk
"
What's wrong? The files should be fine since they were all tested,  I
only changed a few text words. This must be some configuration
problem, searched all the docs, no luck. What
about mount?  the root sitemap.xmap clearly mounts everything
including "silk". Struggled a bit, came back to the root sitemap.xmap,
carefully read this file line by line, some comments caught my
attention:
"  http://blah/something/ and http://blah/something
        effectively locate different web resources and the act of mapping
        them to the same system resources is your concern, not Cocoon's. "

quickly I pointed to:
http://localhost:8888/silk/

I got my first strand of silk!

Well, this should be documented for newbies like me, or it would be
more user-friendly for
Cocoon to automatically identify and add the missing ending slash,
even if typing URL
without ending slash is "considered a bad practice".

Nagged a bunch, this is my only signal, sorry.

Now I am really in good mode to call my GF, and tell her that this
world will only become better and peaceful if all you ladies wear
nothing but Apache-Cocoon-Made high-tech silk!

The question I left for your guys is: How can I become a productive silkworm?

-Heh

P.S. I will sign the CLA soon.