cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: community input on the GSoC
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:08:22 GMT
On 7/6/05, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I assume most of you have already heard about the
> Google Summer of Code initiative [1]. A few students
> would like to try helping out on some dedicated parts
> of cocoon, mentored by some of our committers. If
> they succeed Google will pay them some money.

<snip/>

> This post is especially directed to non-committers.
> We would like to hear *your* opinion on this!
> It's not a vote ...but we would just like to
> hear community opinions on the following options:
>
>  o work through patches
>  o give them limited svn access
>    - give them a full address (jdoe@apache.org)
>    - add a prefix to the address (gsoc-jdoe@apache.org)

Until policy changes here at work I'll never be on the "committer
radar" so to speak, however, FWIW I'd say absolutely give them limited
SVN access.  They may end up doing as much or more work then some of
the existing committers, and it should be as easy as possible for them
to make their contributions.  The easier it is for them to make
contributions to Cocoon the better the chance that some real progress
will be made.

No real opinion on the e-mail address, the prefix seems somewhat
reasonable, but maybe you'll want to keep some of these people as
committers even after the GSOC contribution period is done? It might
be nice if they didn't have their e-mail address change if this
happens...

--
Peter Hunsberger