cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Max Pfingsthorn" <m.pfingsth...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: Re: community input on the GSoC
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:24:50 GMT
Hi everyone,

I am one of the lucky few GSOC'ers. Personally, I really don't mind any way of contribution,
I am grateful for any way the community lets me contribute. Agreed, patches will be extra
work, but will probably make the work noticed more than some messages in the SVN logs.

About the "honor" of becoming a committer (be it temporary or not): I understand that the
ASF is built on "Meritocracy", potential committers have to earn the right of being one. If
you think about it, how many people who may want to become committers actually do? Now hold
this number against 9000 application to the 410 GSOC spaces... I think being selected for
GSOC in the first place is a great honor in itself, but I think it also does bring some merit
with it which may, to some extend, contribute to potential committer karma. ... and therefore
also to a temporary apache account?

I do realize though that there is a fair deal of community experience involved in becoming
a "real" committer, which of course I am striving for as well. So, Google pushing students
into this community is circumventing the normal process, which goes against the community,
but blocking their efforts may be frustrating to the students as well. Personally, I don't
think anyone accepted to GSOC signed up only for the money (which gives everyone in the program
a huge headache because of US tax regulations, but that is another story), but because they
wanted to contribute and did not have the resources to do so before. Imagine you would be
one of the GSOC'ers, wouldn't you be at least a little disappointed if the same organization
which picked you for the project doesn't reciprocate in any way, however small?

Sorry, I wanted to avoid making a case for my own kind. I just wanted to convey both sides
of the story. ;)

Best regards,
Max Pfingsthorn