cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: GSoC project - cform XUL status request
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:42:48 GMT
On 27.07.2005 00:34, Upayavira wrote:

>> In your previous email, you mentioned something like:
>> "The really interesting part with XUL is to use it as rich client,
>> i.e. to
>> avoid rendering the complete page on each request, but only the parts
>> that
>> need to be rendered."
>>
>> Are you talking about some sort of "one-screen form handling" feature
>> like this:
>>
>> https://reservations.ihotelier.com/onescreen.cfm?hotelid=2054&languageid=1
>>

>> the above is implemented in flash though, I think we can achieve
>> similar effects in XUL.
>> I like this feature, it could be used in other situations like
>> checkout. Should I include this feature into my project? Antonio? I am
>> not sure how much work is needed to implement this feature.
>

> If you do, you might want to look at Sylvain's work on Ajax with CForms.
> With that, JavaScript on the browser does XMLHTTPRequests back to
> Cocoon, and CForms replies with partial XML based upon just the part of
> the form that has changed. This, to my ill-informed eye seems like much
> the same functionality as you would need for XUL.

With the difference that you don't need AJAX with XUL. Or better said -
as both rely on XMLHttpRequest, so that's not exactly the difference -
you don't pass complete parts of a page as HTML snippets to the client,
which will replace existing parts in a page with the new stuff using DOM
functions. You simply reload a RDF datasource and the template on the
client will rebuild the specific parts depending on this datasource.
IIRC I posted two links in one of these mails. If not I can search for
them again (it was on http://www.xulplanet.com).

Joerg