cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The impact of using OSGi
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:48:33 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> Can someone explain how maven/OSGi would play together? OSGi has the
> ability to download and install packages. It doesn't though have any
> dependency resolution stuff in it. Does Maven provide that? However,
> IIUC, Maven is a build-time tool, and any dependency resolution we use
> should be usable at runtime (even if that isn't always the best time to
> do it). Could Maven handle this usecase too?

As you said Maven is a build-time tool, so we should use it for that
case. afaiu OSGi will do all the run-time stuff for us.
But we need something that can compile our java code. In Maven you
simply define on which other projects/jars you depend and maven does the
downloading/resolution stuff and then compiles your code.

And we need a tool that creates a bundle out of the source tree
(creating a jar, building the manifest, stuffing all resources into it
etc.). There will be a Maven plugin for this, I think, so we could
simply use it.

But I agree that there are some more questions, so I think we should
simply experiment a little bit with one block, like Bertrand suggested,
and see what the outcome is.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/