cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira>
Subject Re: [RT] The impact of using OSGi
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:13:46 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>Apart from that, my impression is that the biggest impact might be on
>>the build system and on the directory structure of our code: separating
>>the code in a way that makes sense for bundles (separate interfaces
>>from implementations, separate units of functionality) would make the
>>mapping to OSGI bundles much easier, and may make the core code easier
>>to understand.
>>BTW this maps nicely to the Maven concept of smaller projects organized
>>in a hierarchy, and people are working on a Maven 2 plugin to create
>>OSGI bundles, so we have some hints here ;-)
>>I won't be able to help much this month due to more holidays, and as
>>usual whoever does the work decides, but I just wanted to expose the
>>mental connections that I've been making last week: if we consider
>>moving to Maven, this might be the right time to do it, or at least
> Yes, definitly, +5 - has anyone already done some steps towards this?
> I'm planning to have a look at it in the next days.

Can someone explain how maven/OSGi would play together? OSGi has the
ability to download and install packages. It doesn't though have any
dependency resolution stuff in it. Does Maven provide that? However,
IIUC, Maven is a build-time tool, and any dependency resolution we use
should be usable at runtime (even if that isn't always the best time to
do it). Could Maven handle this usecase too?

Regards, Upayavira

View raw message