cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The impact of using OSGi
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:35:20 GMT
JD Daniels wrote:

> Ok, I have a question from a user perspective. I have a large,
> basically company-wide build system. Each of my own projects has its
> own build, which is included in a "domain" project. I have as an init
> task to build cocoon, then all my little projects depending on a
> properties file whether to include them. Then an awful lot of
> complicated xpatching to get my final web.xml, cocoon.xconf, and
> sitemap.xmap.

That awful xpatching will no more be needed. Each block will contribute
some of its own components to the whole system.

> will I be able to port (for lack of a better word) these projects into
> an osgi bundle? ( they all use the CHS design ) how will the hibernate
> setup and sitemaps be integrated? I have a file in each project
> pipelines, logging, menus, etc that get patche din during the build.
> I'm wondering if the goodness of osgi in cocoon will take care of this.
>
> I am asking because I get the impression the osgi will be "hidden"
> from me at the level I use cocoon.

Your use case seems to be exactly the one where blocks will shine. OSGi
will not be totally hidden as you'll have to describe your blocks, their
dependencies and what they provide -- or keep everything in one big
block as of today...

Sylvain